My Elsa Cosplay Part 14
WOW. So. Cape is completely GLITTERED!!!!!!
I was initially going to do the whole thing today, but my grandma’s flight ended up coming in (way) later than expected last night so my sister, my aunt, and i (the former who i forced to be my cape slaves and help me out a bit) began cutting the cape panels. GOOD THING.
We spent a little over 5 hours cutting the snowflakes out last night. Today we just needed to cut a couple more snowflakes out, attach the panels together, and cut the big snowflake out (at the top). we then placed the huge sheet (124” x 120”) on top of the net (which was, in turn, on top of plastic sheeting so we could easily peel it off when the glue dried) It was so delicate because there were so many tiny pieces of paper between big cut out snowflakes that could tear with the slightest jerk or wrong movement. STRESSFUL!!! we taped down (with double sided tape) the edges of the stencil that were curling up and the snowflakes and points in the big snowflake that needed to be added, and then i sprayed (with my 3M 77 Spray glue) and glittered (with my powder glitter and sifter/strainer thing) the whole thing! I was sooooo nervous about running out of glitter and we almost did… luckily i had just the right amount!!!
We spent about 3 hours completing the stencil, placing it on the cape, and doing the actual glitter process. It was grueling and exhausting and im so happy to be done with the worst part!!!
Unfortunately, the glitter i got for this round (the first time i was only able to get a little done because i ran out of glitter) wasn’t as iridescenty green as the first round was so the colors don’t match exactly- yikes!!! It’s quite close, but i still would have been so much happier if it really matched!
Tomorrow im going to cut the hem of the cape so it kind of follows the shape of the snowflakes (im going to do a little glitter border around the hem later- i forgot the glue at the office where i was glittering!) and i’m going to work on how im going to be attaching the cape to the bodice. I think i will use some kind of velcro so it’s sturdy, but i really want to avoid the cape looking “stuffed” into the back like the Disney parks one does… I also need to abridge the The Snow Queen book that i got and will be reading to the second grade class on tuesday! It’s this absolutely amazing pop up book, but way too many words for children’s attention span so i’m just gojng to read my shortened version of the story and have my aunt turn the pages for the class or something!!!
Anyway- i’m just so insanely lucky to have had that huge clean empty building at my disposal over the weekend to work on this and my amazing team of family to help pull this off!!! It was a monumental effort and i’m soooo happy to be done!!!!
BTW- the gliter does shed (a lot) but i actually really love how it looks so i dont think i will do a top coat of glue on any of the areas to seal it in except possibly the long snowflake bits on the sides where my arms will be rubbing… we will see!!! :)